Skip to main content

Communication and the Keys to be better 06/24/2023

 This week we are going to talk about communication and the lack of communication. Part of what we will talk about is how to effectively communicate and the importance of tone of voice and non-verbal cues. We will also talk about the five secrets of communication. Well, now that we have the quick break down explained we should just hop right into our deep dive.

When we think of a conversation our first thought is two people responding with words or a text of words to something the other person said. But have you ever just been sitting at a table or a bench and had someone walk up and ask if you are doing okay or if they could help in any way, I have and it kind of surprised me but it also helped me a lot. This was probably a reacting to non-verbal cues that they were picking up on. I had been really struggling and a lot was going on in my life and even though I though I was hiding it all and had not said anything, a friend walking by noticed that something was off and sat down to talk. This actually happens a lot, meaning our non-verbal cues are a lot louder than our words. It has actually been broken down that nonverbal cues make up about 51percent of communication and words alone are actually only 14 percent . But this is not always the case, my friend and I kind of put it to the test with some friends. The guys in the group were completely focused on the words and were so lost because they missed the non-verbal cues. This is defiantly not always the case but if you ever feel like someone just is NOT understanding you, try using more words and verbally expressing those non-verbal cues.

Well if you did the math we are still missing 35 percent of total communication. This 35 percent is allotted to tone of voice. Tone of voice is defined as "how the character of your business comes through in your words, both written and spoken". Which is the emotion behind our words, which is why there is so much miss communication when texting. This is something that we all face and even with emojis there is still so much lost.

So with the three key aspects of communication explained lets hop into the five secrets of communication! The first is the disarming technique, its all about finding some fraction of truth is what someone said and verbally recognizing it. This needs to be done even is part or most of everything in side of us thinks that it is unreasonable because it will quickly lower the fight response in the other person. Secret number two is empathy, we need to be striving to put ourselves in the shoes of others and to strive to see things how they see them. This is down but verbally showing that we recognize what they are saying but also by matching our non-verbal cues and tone to theirs so that we are matching our feelings to theirs. The third is inquiry. Ask question, be gentle about it and strive to learn more about their thoughts and feelings. Secret number four is to use "I Feel" statements. For example do not blatantly call them stupid or wrong this will not help anything when it sounds like you are placing blame or degrading them. The fifth and final secret is called stroking. This is about conveying respect through our attitude and striving to be genuinely positive and not getting overly heated during the conversation. In the end communication is key and also very complicated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome! please hear me out

Hi! Welcome to my blog on family relations, my name is Sariah Crosby and I'm so glad you decided to join me on this journey of learning more about the relationships that matter most. Some things you should know is that I am the fifth child out of seven and that I am a Christian. My faith in Jesus Chirst and His teachings definitely influences my viewpoint but His teachings also backs some of the findings and articles I will be talking about. That being said I really want to focus on the current trends in the family units and the impacts of the trends we are seeing. First let's start with some common comments about marriage and families in general. One I hear a lot is “why do I want to get married? It is just a paper that causes more trouble and paperwork if it does not work out.” Another is “I want to be successful before I do that.” Then we have the debate of what a family is and the argument of whether a man can marry a man or a woman to a woman. These comments, debates and a

Levels of infidelity 06/10/2023

  Did you know that there are 4 levels or types of infidelity? Two of these types of infidelity require a partner in crime of sorts. The other two are considered infidelity because of the secrets and deception that form from them. They are more sociological than they are physical. Lets break these down so that we can better understand what we are dealing with and so that we can evaluate ourselves. When you hear infidelity you probably think sexual infidelity, such as cheating or sleeping with someone other than your spouse or significant other. But did you know that sexual infidelity is not the most common type of infidelity. The scriptures call sexual sin second only to murder, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be the most common,  people think that as long as they don't sleep with someone else or kiss another they are ok, but that is far from the truth. The most common infidelity is emotional infidelity. It's when commitment changes to another person because of an emotio

the Importance of Fathers

  You all probably have heard me say it before but my dad means the world to me. So I would like to spend today talking about the importance of dads, fathers, papa, or whatever your all call that amazing male role model in your life! I personally have had bad days and good days, and I think many if not all of you are in the same or similar boat, but it never mattered because I knew and still know that my dad would and will be there for me, to tell me I was and am strong enough to make it though whatever it was or is. I hope to be able to show my passion and belief that having a present and interactive father can and does make a very large and positive impact on a child's life. Something that I really value from my childhood was my time with my dad. The majority of our time spent together was always him, my siblings, and I working side by side and very little talking. It was hard work usually washing calves or fixing fence that the elk blew through but I was able to watch him do som