Skip to main content

The total experience! 06/17/2023

 This week I want to talk about crises and about the total experience. In our life time we will have many events that can be classified as a crises. Whether it is financial, physical or emotional these crises play a big role in our lives. There will be crises and that is just something we can not stop and we can not choose them. The part that we can control however is our resources to some extent, our responses and our cognition. Together these pieces will be added up and we will get our total experience. As always lets jump in and breakdown this weeks topic so that we can better understand what is going on. We have the resources, the response and our cognition. Then we will talk about the equation as a whole.

Lets start with breaking these down a little bit more. Diving deeper into what resources we can control and what resources are important. Some of the first things we think of when we hear resources are money and food. Or at least those were the first ones I thought of, I mean the dictionary definition is "a stock or supply of money, materials, staff, and other assets that can be drawn on by a person or organization in order to function effectively." Staff is the part of that definition that I want to focus on right now though. When we face difficult situations it is important to be surrounded by people who will lift and support us through the crises. Our family, our community and our religious family are some of the most important "Staff" that we could have.

Next up on our list to breakdown is our response. I kind of love looking at this portion of the equation. Our response to the situation is so important. If we take a step back and breakdown the word Crises, and search other languages a little. We find that it is a combination of two words, danger and opportunity. Our response is part of how we will take the opportunity that is placed in front of us. We have the opportunity and the outcome may be unknown but our reaction in part can be known. When crises comes knocking, with danger and opportunity, will we take it by storm with a positive outlook or will negativity take over.

Now for cognition. Cognition is the part that we have the most control over. As the dictionary definition reads cognition means "the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses." See as much as we like to think we have control over having the proper resources and the best response, we really do not. We have the most control over what we are going to learn from the crises that we are faced with. We, meaning each of us, you, me, and whoever else is in the world, can take the opportunities that our individual crises bring us and learn from them. We should not stop there though, we need to take what we have learned and share it with others so that they, if they chose to be, can be better prepared and include our story into there archive of resources.

I mentioned earlier that this is all part of an equation. It is called the ABCX equation. The A stands for the Actual Event or the crises that we are faced with. B is both our resources and our responses. The last part is C and that stands for cognition, together A, B, and C equal X. X stands for total experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome! please hear me out

Hi! Welcome to my blog on family relations, my name is Sariah Crosby and I'm so glad you decided to join me on this journey of learning more about the relationships that matter most. Some things you should know is that I am the fifth child out of seven and that I am a Christian. My faith in Jesus Chirst and His teachings definitely influences my viewpoint but His teachings also backs some of the findings and articles I will be talking about. That being said I really want to focus on the current trends in the family units and the impacts of the trends we are seeing. First let's start with some common comments about marriage and families in general. One I hear a lot is “why do I want to get married? It is just a paper that causes more trouble and paperwork if it does not work out.” Another is “I want to be successful before I do that.” Then we have the debate of what a family is and the argument of whether a man can marry a man or a woman to a woman. These comments, debates and a

Levels of infidelity 06/10/2023

  Did you know that there are 4 levels or types of infidelity? Two of these types of infidelity require a partner in crime of sorts. The other two are considered infidelity because of the secrets and deception that form from them. They are more sociological than they are physical. Lets break these down so that we can better understand what we are dealing with and so that we can evaluate ourselves. When you hear infidelity you probably think sexual infidelity, such as cheating or sleeping with someone other than your spouse or significant other. But did you know that sexual infidelity is not the most common type of infidelity. The scriptures call sexual sin second only to murder, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be the most common,  people think that as long as they don't sleep with someone else or kiss another they are ok, but that is far from the truth. The most common infidelity is emotional infidelity. It's when commitment changes to another person because of an emotio

the Importance of Fathers

  You all probably have heard me say it before but my dad means the world to me. So I would like to spend today talking about the importance of dads, fathers, papa, or whatever your all call that amazing male role model in your life! I personally have had bad days and good days, and I think many if not all of you are in the same or similar boat, but it never mattered because I knew and still know that my dad would and will be there for me, to tell me I was and am strong enough to make it though whatever it was or is. I hope to be able to show my passion and belief that having a present and interactive father can and does make a very large and positive impact on a child's life. Something that I really value from my childhood was my time with my dad. The majority of our time spent together was always him, my siblings, and I working side by side and very little talking. It was hard work usually washing calves or fixing fence that the elk blew through but I was able to watch him do som