Skip to main content

Parenting, cause & effects

There are and always will be a cause and effect to everything. This is something that we can always rely on to be true no matter the situation but especially with behaviors or attitudes. I heard something similar to this a lot when I was younger. Growing up it was almost on cue that a classmate or sibling would ask "do I have to do that?". My dad would almost always answer with "No, You do not have to do anything in this life, except accept the consequences." I quickly picked up that consequences are the effect of what we do or do not do. Lately I have added that the effect could also be from receiving what we need versus our needs not being met. Well I think that leads us perfectly into what we are talking about today. That being that it is part of an adult's responsibility to find the cause behind a child's behaviors and it is our responsibility to teach, and learn if we haven't yet, how to respond.


Recently I was able to learn about an equation that helped break down a very important role of parents or even just adults. It is that choices plus consequences equal response ability. Meaning that when we fully understand choices and consequences we have the ability to respond in a healthy way. It also allows you to be aware of who and what your response will or could affect. We can teach this by directing children to decisions that have safer natural consequences rather than just telling the child "NO". Now before you all start saying that your child is too stubborn to listen to redirection please just try it. Redirection does not need to be to a completely different activity it can simply be to a safer way to the child's idea.

I said it before and I will say it again let your child experience natural consequences. This is healthy and will teach them how to problem solve and how to get back up on their feet. However this does not mean that you have to or should let you child or someone else's test the limits of something that could seriously hurt them or another person or an animal. It is an adults responsibility to know when to step in and provide redirection and some extra guidance. There are three main reasons for why someone should step up and prevent natural consequences. These are when the natural consequences are one, too dangerous, second, that the consequence is too far in the future, and the third, it hurts others. This means that it is on us to be able to accurately predict the natural consequences and to teach children how to do so.

How do we know when to redirect and if the natural consequences are within the boarders of safe to learn from? Well, we do this by making parenting intentional, meaning by listening and watching. As the adult it is our role to watch over and protect the young whether or not it is our child. Yes I know we can not change other peoples parenting ways and we can not tell a child not to do something that their parent already said was okay. But we can provide guidance to our children and their friends, or to the children whose parents give us the okay to.

Redirection is something that does not stop natural consequences, meaning the child is left with a lesson and they also are able to notice that you are not the bad guy telling them "NO" but that you are there to protect them. If there are ever two consistent thing in every child it is that they need a challenge and that they need protection. By doing all of these things we are better able to fill the child's needs and to provide them with an adult whom they trust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome! please hear me out

Hi! Welcome to my blog on family relations, my name is Sariah Crosby and I'm so glad you decided to join me on this journey of learning more about the relationships that matter most. Some things you should know is that I am the fifth child out of seven and that I am a Christian. My faith in Jesus Chirst and His teachings definitely influences my viewpoint but His teachings also backs some of the findings and articles I will be talking about. That being said I really want to focus on the current trends in the family units and the impacts of the trends we are seeing. First let's start with some common comments about marriage and families in general. One I hear a lot is “why do I want to get married? It is just a paper that causes more trouble and paperwork if it does not work out.” Another is “I want to be successful before I do that.” Then we have the debate of what a family is and the argument of whether a man can marry a man or a woman to a woman. These comments, debates and a

Levels of infidelity 06/10/2023

  Did you know that there are 4 levels or types of infidelity? Two of these types of infidelity require a partner in crime of sorts. The other two are considered infidelity because of the secrets and deception that form from them. They are more sociological than they are physical. Lets break these down so that we can better understand what we are dealing with and so that we can evaluate ourselves. When you hear infidelity you probably think sexual infidelity, such as cheating or sleeping with someone other than your spouse or significant other. But did you know that sexual infidelity is not the most common type of infidelity. The scriptures call sexual sin second only to murder, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be the most common,  people think that as long as they don't sleep with someone else or kiss another they are ok, but that is far from the truth. The most common infidelity is emotional infidelity. It's when commitment changes to another person because of an emotio

the Importance of Fathers

  You all probably have heard me say it before but my dad means the world to me. So I would like to spend today talking about the importance of dads, fathers, papa, or whatever your all call that amazing male role model in your life! I personally have had bad days and good days, and I think many if not all of you are in the same or similar boat, but it never mattered because I knew and still know that my dad would and will be there for me, to tell me I was and am strong enough to make it though whatever it was or is. I hope to be able to show my passion and belief that having a present and interactive father can and does make a very large and positive impact on a child's life. Something that I really value from my childhood was my time with my dad. The majority of our time spent together was always him, my siblings, and I working side by side and very little talking. It was hard work usually washing calves or fixing fence that the elk blew through but I was able to watch him do som